This is effectively a sequel, of sorts, to a previous video Steve Bourie did with Mike Trask. He is VP of Marketing and Communications at Ainsworth, and someone I’ve spoken to over the years around the site, including a site visit to see new games at their headquarters during the height of the pandemic back in 2020, along with a visit to their G2E booth in 2021.
In a 40-minute video they manage to cover a lot of ground, including common questions their readers have had about slot machine, and areas we have covered here (although it’s always nice to have someone from a slot company on the record about these things!). Topics covered include:
- How a slot machine works, including the random number generator
- How casinos choose their payback percentages
- How multi-denomination payback percentages are chosen (and how Ainsworth specifically handles that setup)
- PAR sheets and what information they tell casinos
- When you play a machine with a specific payback, what that means for the player
- Are slots set to pay out at set intervals?
- Does a machine pay less after a big win?
- Is a machine that hasn’t hit in awhile “due” to hit?
- How can slot machines be both programmed and random?
- If you get up from a machine and someone sits down and wins big, if you had stayed, would you have won big?
- When you get to a bonus round, does it matter what you pick, or is a bonus predetermined?
- They mention this site (hi!) when it comes to picking bonuses that reveal the choices, but are predetermined.
- How Ainsworth handles picking bonuses
- How Ainsworth must hit by progressives work
- Do casinos loosen machines at some times and tighten on other times? And how does a machine’s payback get changed?
- Are machines on the end of a row set to pay more jackpots than those in the middle of the row?
- Server-based gaming, what it is, and its prevalence in 2022
- Do they follow you around the casino and flip a switch when you’re winning so you can’t win?
- Do casino put higher paying machines by the aisles or prominent locations?
- Casinos and their placement of popular games in popular locations
- Using the players card and whether it has an effect on payback
- Does volume increase the chances of a jackpot?
- Are wheel wedges weighted evenly?
- When you play a slot and hit a bonus round, and push round to start the bonus, is it a secondary RNG? Is the bonus round predetermined?
- And Mike’s best advice for slot players
As you can see it’s a very, very information-filled video with someone who’s been working in the industry for a long time. You can’t do much better than that in terms of official answers from an official source!